Thursday, June 21, 2012

When it's hot hot hot

you need to make a smoothie!!
On hot days there is nothing more refreshing or healthy than a yummy smoothie.

We love fruit in our house, but sometimes the fruit goes bad before we can eat it all.  If the fruit begins to look blah, I cut it up and put it in my smoothie bag which I keep in the freezer.
Your smoothie can be a power packed protein meal.  My kids love them. I usually make them when they are not watching so I can sneak in some hidden health powerhouses.  I usually start with
*Almond Breeze Almond/Coconut Milk in the bottom of my vitamix
or you can use any type of milk or juice that you have in your fridge.
Next put in your fruits and veggies. If you are freezing them, cut them into fairly small pieces so they are easier to blend.
*orange
*banana
*kiwi
*pineapple
*apple
*grapes
*berries of all kinds
*spinach, kale, any kind of greens
The best part of smoothies is that the kids do not really notice the greens in the smoothie.  My daughter thinks it is cooler when the smoothie looks green!
Finally, you can add in some protein
*hemp seeds
*protein powders
*flax seed oils
The main thing with making a smoothie is to get creative!!
The smoothie tastes even better with a nice glass straw.  I love the strawsome straws.
Cool off, get healthy, and eat your fruits and veggies!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a Smoothie bag in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete