Friday, June 3, 2011

Meatless Meals, Millet Meatballs

Since we have one vegan and one vegetarian in the house I like to experiment a lot with meatless meals.  My carnivores will try most meals I make, but they are a bit skeptical.  I think meatballs are one of the foods that everyone in my house really likes.  I am trying to add more grains into our meals too, so this recipe really interested me.
For those of you who have never seen millet, it is a small yellow grain and looks like couscous or quinoa, that shape and size.  The millet needs to be cooked before you can make the meatballs.  Put 2 cups of water on to boil, add in 1/2 cup millet and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook 35-40 minutes, till tender.  You can even cook the millet the day before. One more note, to make these vegan you can use vegan Parmesan cheese, if you are vegetarian you can use regular Parmesan cheese.

Millet Meatballs
one can cannellini beans, rinsed well
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic minced
2 tsp basil
1/2 cup water
1 and 1/2 cups cooked millet
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs to roll the meatballs in


Preheat oven to 350
In a large food processor combine canellini beans, onion, garlic, basil and water.  Add in millet, bread crumbs, parmesan and salt.  Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.  Shape mixture into 1" balls. You can roll each one in the extra bread crumbs.  To make mine less calories, I did not roll my meatballs in the crumbs.  Place meatballs on to the cookie sheet.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Serve with whole wheat pasta and fresh marinara.  This is a delicious meatless meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment